Ghost (1990) is an American drama fantasy thriller movie that had an estimated budget of $22 million and grossed over $505.7 million at the box office. Ghost was the highest-grossing film in 1990 and was the 93rd-highest-grossing film of all time domestically in 2015. Director Jerry Zucker (The Naked Gun: From the Files of Police Squad! (1988), Airplane! (1980), Top Secret! (1984), The Naked Gun 2½: The Smell of Fear (1991)) did a fabulous job executing this emotional romance movie. The film contains supernatural violence, violence, sexual content but nothing explicit, bad languages, suspense, afterlife and love. All of the actors did a fantastic job with their respective roles. Ghost helped Demi Moore to become the highest paid actress at the time. Whoopi Goldberg started, but the director did not want her for the role, and Patrick Swayze said that he would not star in the film if Whoopi were not in it although Patrick never met Whoopi before Ghost. The loft at 102 Prince Street where Molly lived in during Ghost is on the market for about $10 million dollars so it can be yours.
Ghost revolves around the spirit of Sam Wheat (Patrick Swayze - Dirty Dancing (1987), Donnie Darko (2001), Point Break (1991)) who was a banker. Molly Jensen (Demi Moore - A Few Good Men (1992), The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1996), Mr. Brooks (2007)) is a potter who recently moved to an apartment in New York City with her love, Sam. Sam’s friend and co-worker Carl Bruner (Tony Goldwyn - The Last Samurai (2003), Divergent (2014), Tarzan (1999)) helped them move into their apartment. Sam discovered
unusually high balances in doubtful bank accounts and rejects Carl’s offer for him to investigate resulting in Sam investigating by himself.
Sam and Molly were walking home that same night when a thief shot Sam after he refuses to hand over his wallet. We later saw Carl convincing Molly to take a walk with him, and moments later, we saw the same thief entering Molly’s apartment looking for something. Sam learns the thief’s name after following him to his apartment and discovered that the thief Willie Lopez (Rick Aviles - Waterworld (1995), Carlito’s Way (1993), The Godfather: Part III (1990)) will go back to Molly’s apartment. Skip forward, Molly finally trusts Oda Mae (Whoopi Goldberg - The View (1997), Elmo: A Puppeteer’s Journey (2011), The 74th Annual Academy Awards (2002), The 71st Annual Academy Awards (1999)) after she reveals information that only Sam would know. Sam finds out that Carl was behind his death because he needs Sam’s book of passwords so that he can have access to the money from the bank accounts and launder it. The movie goes on to showing an emotional journey for Molly as she has to decide whether Oda Mae is real or a con artist and also has to deal with Carl.
Ghost is one of my favorite movies that I watch regularly and never seem to get bored, alway manage to put tears in my eyes. As you can imagine, everything was great in this movie and all of the departments excelled greatly. I gave this film an eight and not a nine because it did have minor goofs. A few of those goofs were: We hear Sam’s ghost footstep as he was chasing his killer after being killed, but ghosts do not have footsteps. It was evident around Sam’s body that a green screen was used as he was ascending into the light. Microphones and sound equipment can be seen twice in the mirrors in the beginning scenes in Molly’s apartment. Molly’s sleeves have blood on it while holding Sam in the street but her sleeve was clean in the police station. There are several other goofs but too many to list. The goofs do not take away from enjoying the movie.
Interesting locations where the movie was shot at:
* Spring Street Towers - 650 S. Spring Street, Downtown, Los Angeles, California, USA
* The Ebell of Los Angeles - 743 South Lucerne Boulevard, Los Angeles, California, USA
* Paramount Studios - 5555 Melrose Avenue, Hollywood, Los Angeles, California, USA
* Brooklyn, New York City, New York, USA
* Bushwick, Brooklyn, New York City, New York, USA
* Myrtle Avenue & Broadway, Bushwick, Brooklyn, New York City, New York, USA - Sam Wheat chases his murderer
* Lower Manhattan, Manhattan, New York City, New York, USA
* Mezzogiorno Restaurant - 195 Spring Street, Soho, Manhattan, New York City, New York, USA - Molly meets Oda Mae
* 104 Prince Street, Soho, Manhattan, New York City, New York, USA - Molly and Sam’s apartment
* Crosby Street, Soho, Manhattan, New York City, New York, USA - Sam died there
* Federal Hall - 28 Wall Street, Manhattan, New York City, New York, USA
*Soho, Manhattan, New York City, New York, USA
* Tribeca, Manhattan, New York City, New York, USA
* Franklin Street, Tribeca, Manhattan, New York City, New York, USA - Sam Wheat ghosr chases his killer
* Wall Street, Manhattan, New York City, New York, USA
* George Washington Statue, Federal Hall - 28 Wall Street, Manhattan, New York City, New York, USA - donating money to nuns
About Ghost (1990)
Starring: Stephen Root, Demi Moore, Tony Goldwyn, Vincent Schiavelli, Rick Aviles, Whoopi Goldberg, Said Faraj, Bruce Jarchow, Angelina Estrada, Phil Leeds, Steven-Charles Jaffe, J. Christopher Sullivan, Patrick Swayze, Tom Finnegan, Rick Kleber, Macka Foley, William Cort, John Hugh, Minnie Summers Lindsey, Sam Tsoutsouvas, Mabel Lockridge, Sharon Breslau, William L. Arance, Armelia McQueen, Mike Jittlov, Gail Boggs, Billy Marshall Thompson, Thom Curley, Burton Zucker, Laura Drake
Director: Jerry Zucker
Movies and TV Shows That Need Votes
You May Also Like…