Here are 6 fun facts about Stan Winston‘s Pumpkinhead (1988). With the Scream Factory Pumpkinhead Blu-ray release in September 2014 and the Pumpkinhead Reboot in 2017, thought it was time to show this horror icon some love. This franchise is one that some may overlook, but you should give a chance because the demon creature is a little indistinguishable from the human monster Ed Harley played by Lance Henriksen.
5 Facts about Pumpkinhead
- Ed Harley’s (Lance Henriksen) dog named Gypsy was also Barney in Joe Dante‘s Gremlins (1984) prior. His real name is Mushroom.
The origin story of Pumpkinhead comes from the below poem written by Ed Justin:
Keep away from Pumpkinhead, Unless you’re tired of living, His enemies are mostly dead, He’s mean and unforgiving, Laugh at him and you’re undone, But in some dreadful fashion, Vengeance, he considers fun, And plans it with a passion, Time will not erase or blot, A plot that he has brewing, It’s when you think that he’s forgot, He’ll conjure your undoing, Bolted doors and windows barred, Guard dogs prowling in the yard, Won’t protect you in your bed, Nothing will, from Pumpkinhead!". In the movie, the poem is shorten and turned into a short of scary nursery rhyme for children…
"Keep away from Pumpkinhead
Unless you’re tired of living
His enemies are mostly dead
He’s mean and unforgiving.
Locked doors and windows barred
Guard dogs prowling in your yard
Won’t protect you in your bed
Nothing will from Pumpkinhead
- Lance Henriksen’s character reappears as a ghost in Pumpkinhead: Ashes to Ashes (2006) aka Pumpkinhead 3 (2006) and Pumpkinhead: Blood Feud (2007) aka Pumpkinhead 4 (2007) as the ghost of Ed Harley, from the original Pumpkinhead (1988) movie.
- Pumpkinhead (1988) was originally titled Vengeance - The Demon (1988) by the De Laurentiis Entertainment Group. They later filed for bankruptcy before the US release. United Artists renamed the film and gave it a wide release which included the United States.
- The cabin the teenagers take shelter in is located in Topanga Hills, California and was the very same cabin used in Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter (1984). Want to rent out the cabin for weddings or another special event, here is the official website.
- To make the lines blur even further between who was really the monster, Stan Winston’s special effects team infused the likeness of Lance Henriksen into the Pumpkinhead face to increase the creepy factor and it worked.
Directed by Stan Winston
Official Synopsis: After a group of bikers accidentally murder a young boy named Billy Harley his father Ed harley is devastated and the only thing he wants is revenge and goes to an old woman who is said to be a witch and conjures a demonic creature known as pumpkin head and with Revenge on his Mind unleashes him upon the bikers.
Cast: Lance Henriksen, Tom Woodruff Jr., George 'Buck' Flower, Dick Warlock, Greg Michaels, Joel Hoffman, Jeff East, Kerry Remsen, Chance Michael…
Genres: Horror, Fantasy