God hears our prayers directly, but he sends his angels to assist us and help out his human children. God has many angels at his command, and they are organized into nine different types of angels. Each group of angels has various functions in keeping heaven in order and answering God’s children. Below we list the nine types of angels (Seraphim, Cherubim, Thrones, Dominations, Principalities, Powers, Virtues, Archangels, Angels) along with their function, meaning, description, and purpose in the grand plan of God. Do you know what group Lucifer was in before his fall from God’s grace?
Different Types of Angels
- The Seraphim angels are the angels closest to God. These angels encircle his throne and emit an intense fiery light representing his light, the loving light of God. Seraphim are considered "fiery serpents," and the other divine beings may not view them. There are a total of 4 Seraphim, and each has four faces and six wings. When Seraphim appear on Earth, they prefer to take the forms of tall, thin, clean-cut human embodiments while leaving their fiery serpent forms behind in Heaven.
Cherubim Angels (Plural of Cherub)
- The Cherubim angels are the divine keepers of celestial records and hold the knowledge of God. The Cherub angels are sent to Earth when there is a great need with matters of most importance like when humankind was expelled from the Garden of Eden. Ancient art depicts the Cherubim as sphinx-like and winged creatures with human faces. Not the fat babies with wings that now grace greeting cards and book covers. There are now 3 Cherubim angels (Ophaniel, Rikbiel, and Zophiel) from the original 4 Cherub in heaven; Lucifer was a Cherub before his fall from grace in heaven.
- The Thrones appear to have the weirdest appearance because they are said to appear as great glowing wheels covered with many eyes. The Thrones serve as God’s chariot and "dispense his judgment" to carry out his desires for us. The Thrones are considered "heavenly governors, attempting to strike a balance between matter and spirit, good and bad."
Dominations Angels / Dominions Angels
- The Dominations/Dominions receive orders from Seraphim and Cherubim then pass those orders onto the lower angel classes for execution. They are like the upper management of the angel order/angel choir. Zadkiel (sometimes called Hashmal) is the chief in charge of the Dominions angels.
- These angelic beings are seen as rays of light. The Principalities oversee everything making sure everything and guide our entire world--nations, cities, and towns; and more importantly in charge of religion and politics. Principalities are in charge of managing the Earthly duties of the angels below them.
- The Angels of Power appear in their celestial form as brightly colored, hazy fumes. The Powers are the angels of birth and death and are "border patrol angels" of heaven. Some people believe that the Powers keep demons at bay while St. Paul believed that the Powers were the evil angels. Powers are responsible for advising in religion, theology, and ideology. Some believe that the Powers are the most like humans because of their vulnerability to the act of sinning.
- The Virtues are shaped like sparks of light with their focus being to maintain the natural world and inspire living things in things like science. They are also responsible for taking orders from upper angels and turning those orders into miracles for the deserving. The usually take their Earthly forms as musicians, artists, healers, and scientists who work with the power of love/physics. The two angels present at the ascension of Jesus are believed to be Virtues for that heavenly miracle.
- Archangels are the guardians of humankind. Archangels appear in human form with huge wings set on their backs. Most well-known Archangels are Michael, Gabriel, and Raphael with the full list here.
- Angels are those who are in charge of delivering individuals with direct messages from God. Angels safeguard households and individuals from evil and demons. Angels nurture, counsel, and heal individual people for God. Everyone has their own "personal angel" known as their Guardian Angel with us daily.