Birth Place: London, UK
Rachel Weisz is a 5' 6" (1.68 m) tall English film/theatre actress and was a former fashion model that holds a British and American citizenship. Rachel was born on March 7, 1970, in Westminster, London, England, UK to parents Edith and George and grew up in Hampstead Garden Suburb. Her birth name is Rachel Hannah Weisz. Her mother Edith was a teacher and then became a psychoanalyst whereas her father George was an inventor from Hungary. George is a Hungarian Jewish immigrant and Edith is was born in Austria and comes from Italian and Austrian Jewish heritage. George and Edith moved to the United Kingdom to escape the Nazis before the Second World War. Rachel's parents enjoy the arts and encourage their daughters to form their own opinions by having many family debates. Rachel has one sister, Minnie, who is a curator and photographer.
Rachel started modeling at an early age of 14 years old and also acted while attending Cambridge University in the 1990s. Rachel graduated with a Bachelor of Arts degree in English and a second-class honor, upper division. She co-founded/formed a student drama theater company called "Cambridge Talking Tongues" which performed its take on Neville Southall's "Washbag" and won the Guardian Student Drama Award, at the 1991 Edinburgh Festival Fringe. Rachel then starred on stage in Sean Mathias' revival of Noel Coward's "Design For Living" which she became recognized by the London Critics' Circle as the Most Promising Newcomer.
Rachel went on to acting in television series and made her grand appearance in science fiction movie, Death Machine (1994) and became known in Hollywood when she appeared in the action film Chain Reaction (1996). A few other movies she appeared in were Stealing Beauty (1996), The Mummy (1999), The Mummy Returns (2001), Enemy at the Gates (2001), About a Boy (2002), The Shape of Things (2003), Constantine (2005), The Constant Gardener (2005), and Oz the Great and Powerful (2013). Rachel married Daniel Craig on June 22, 2011.
A few interesting facts about Rachel Weisz
- Rachel pronounces her last name as "Vice."
- She drives an old 4.2 Sovereign black Jaguar with pepper-pot wheels.
- She is a patron of the official charity of the Royal College of Radiologists which is called The X Appeal.
- Rachel and Jude Law, Susan Lynch, and Ian McKellen are good friends.
- She is also good friends with fashion designers Narciso Rodriguez and Donna Karan.
- Rachel was in the same class as actress Emily Mortimer at St Paul's Girls School in London.
- She became the new face of the Burberry campaign after replacing Kate Moss.
- She is semi-fluent in German.
- Rachel's father George invented machines that sense landmines and respirators that can supply their own oxygen.
- Rachel said her idols were Shirley MacLaine, Gena Rowlands, Jimi Hendrix, Katharine Hepburn, Jack Nicholson , Ingrid Bergman, and Janis Joplin.
- Her favorite movie is Performance (1970).
- She grew up a tomboy.
- Director Chris Weitz directed Rachel in About a Boy (2002) and was classmates with her at Cambridge University.
- The role of Hypatia in Agora (2009) was written with Rachel in mind.
- Rachel divides her time between New York and London and has a home on the same street as British actor Jude Law.
- Rachel is one of six actresses to win the Academy Award while pregnant.
- She was 7 months pregnant when she won the Best Supporting Actress Oscar for The Constant Gardener (2005).
- She has a tattoo of a ladder on her hip.
1985 - Her parents would not let her act in the Richard Gere movie King David (1985) when she was 14 years old although she was offered a big part.
1994 - Awarded the 1994 London Critics Circle Theatre Award for Most Promising Newcomer.
1998 - European Film Promotion Board named Rachel as one of European films' Shooting Stars.
2001 - Ranked #22 in the Maxim Hot 100 Women list
2003 - Ranked #93 in the Maxim Hot 100 Women list
2002 - Ranked #30 for being one of the 102 Sexiest Women in the World in Stuff magazine.
2004 - Rachel lived with director Darren Aronofsky in New York.
2005 - She was the face of Revlon.
2005 - Appeared in two movies that have the word "Constant" in their titles: Constantine (2005) and The Constant Gardener (2005) IN 2005.
2006 - January - Announced that she was five months pregnant on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno (1992) and was engaged to Darren Aronofsky.
2006 - May 31 - Rachel and Darren welcome their baby boy Henry Chance to the world.
2006 - Invited to join AMPAS.
2006 - She received the BAFTA Britannia Award for British Artist of the Year
2006 - She is one of the first females in history to have a leading role as a dragon in Eragon (2006).
2006 - She was one month pregnant when she finished filming on Eragon (2006).
2006 - She declined the role of "Becky" in Clerks II (2006) because of scheduling conflicts.
2007 - Rachel returned to work only two months after giving birth to her son Henry so that she can begin filming My Blueberry Nights (2007).
2007 - Recognized as one of the 100 Sexiest Stars in film history (#37) by Empire magazine.
2008 - She dropped out of her role Smart People (2008) before filming began.
2008 - Backed out for the role of Daisy in The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (2008) because of scheduling conflicts.
2008 - Ranked #85 as 100 Most Desirable Women in the World on Askmen.com
2009 - Ranked #44 as one of the Most Glamourous Women in the World list in Glamour Magazine.
2009 - Voted #63 as one of the 100 Sexiest Women in the World in FHM.
2009 - Ranked #82 in the FHM (German edition) list of 100 Sexiest Women in the World.
Rachel was ranked for 18 consecutive years by "The Annual Independent Critics List of the 100 Most Beautiful Famous Faces From Around the World as having one of the most beautiful faces.
She was ranked #30 in 1996, #23 in 1997#22 in 1998, #18 in 1999, #10 in 2000, #8 in 2001, #7 in 2002, #5 in 2003, #7 in 2004, #7 in 2005, #6 in 2006, #6 in 2007, #2 in 2008, #19 in 2009, #20 in 2010, #48 in 2011, #59 in 2012 and #51 in 2013.
2010 - Her relationship with Darren Aronofsky ended in November 2010.
2011 - Auditioned against Nicole Kidman for the role of Georgie Jutland in Dirt Music (2011) and won.
2011 - Recognized as One of People magazine's Most Beautiful People in the world 2011.
2011 - Rachel married James Bond actor Daniel Craig in a secret ceremony in New York City with just her son, two close friends and Craig's daughter Ella attending the wedding on June 22.
2011 - Became an American citizen.
2013 - Was in the Top 99 Most Desirable Women in Askmen's list.
Actor Rachel Weisz Movies / Films:
- My Cousin Rachel (2017)
The Lobster (2015)
Oz the Great and Powerful (2013)
Dream House (2011)
The Lovely Bones (2009)
The Fountain (2006)
Runaway Jury (2003)
The Mummy Returns (2001)
The Mummy (1999)
- Death Machine (1994)