The Loft (2014)
The Loft Plot Synopsis:The architect Vincent Stevens; the psychiatrist Chris Vanowen; the real estate agents Luke Seacord and Marty Landry; and Chris' half-brother Philip Trauner are married and best friends. Vincent has designed a brand new building and proposes that he and his friends share one of the wonderful penthouse lofts. This would allow them to hook up with other women without worrying about hotel charges showing up on their credit cards. When they discover the body of a beautiful woman cuffed on the bed in the loft, they argue over whom is responsible and secrets are disclosed affecting their friendship.
The Loft (2014) Review
The Loft (2014) is an American-Belgian thriller movie that is a remake of Loft (2008) by the same director. The movie is 108 minutes long and was filmed in New Orleans, Louisiana, USA and in Brussels, Brussels-Capital, Belgium. Director Erik Van Looy (De slimste mens ter wereld (2003), The Memory of a Killer (2003), Het groot dictee der Nederlandse taal (2003)) did an awesome job keeping me entertained. I tried guessing who the real killer was, and I was right at first but then got puzzled and changed my mind. By the way, this is not a horror movie and is only a thriller movie that was a nice watch. The movie contains sexual adult content, sexual language, bad language, violence, friends and betrayals and drug use.
The Loft is about five married men who want to indulge in extramarital affairs, so they jointly own a loft that only they knew about. A dead/murdered female, Sarah Deakins (Isabel Lucas - Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (2009), Home and Away (1988), Red Dawn (2012), Immortals (2011)) was found in the loft. The five men began suspecting each other of the murder because no one else has a key to the loft. Vincent and Luke both like Sarah after meeting her at a bar with Marty. Sarah only has eyes for Vicent, and after some time had gone by, she threatened him that she will tell his wife if he does not leave her alone. Luke persuaded her not to tell Barbara about the affair, and she was soon found in the loft and appears as though she has committed suicide. Secrets start coming out as they try to set up Vincent as the murderer. Luke showed the guys a DVD with Vincent and Marty’s wife, Mimi being sexually intimate as well with Anne and Zoe. Phillip stayed back to make the crime scene look like Vincent did it as the three other guys left the loft to figure out their alibi. Vincent’s friends are not really his friends if they are crazy enough to strip him and handcuff him next to Sarah’s dead body. The film has another twist after this one and I did not predict it. Watch the movie to see what I am talking about.
The five married friends are:
- Vincent Stevens (Karl Urban - Star Trek Into Darkness (2013), Star Trek (2009), Dredd (2012), The Bourne Supremacy (2004)) is the one that came with the idea of the loft and its purposes.
He is married to Barbara (Valerie Cruz - Cellular (2004), The Devil’s Tomb (2009), The Dresden Files (2007)) and they have children. He is an architect/designer of the building that he and his friend own the loft. He is now accused by the four other men of killing the female whose body was found in the loft.
- Luke Seacord (Wentworth Miller - Prison Break (2005), Underworld (2003), Resident Evil: Afterlife (2010)) is the one that discovered the dead female’s body in the loft. He then calls Vincent and the other guys to the loft - he records what everyone does in the loft without their knowledge of him doing it. Luke is married to Ellie (Elaine Cassidy - The Others (2001), Disco Pigs (2001), Felicia’s Journey (1999)) who is dependant on insulin.
- Dr. Chris Vanowen (James Marsden - X-Men (2000), 2 X-Men 2 (2003), Enchanted (2007), Superman Returns (2006)) did not like the idea of the loft and was the last one to take part of the group. He is a psychiatrist and is married to Allison (Rhona Mitra - Shooter (2007), Underworld: Rise of the Lycans (2009), The Number 23 (2007), Hollow Man (2000)) but now has feelings for Anne. Anne (Rachael Taylor - Transformers (2007), Red Dog (2011), Shutter (2008), The Darkest Hour (2011)) is a prostitute that warns Chris not to fall in love with her but he refuses to listen to her and gave her his key to the loft as proof that he does not bring anyone else there.
- Phillip Williams (Matthias Schoenaerts - Rust and Bone (2012), The Drop (2014), Bullhead (2011), Black Book (2006)) and Chris are half-brothers with the same mother. Chris and Phillip has a half-sister, Zoe, who they are very protective over and warns other men not to have a sexual relation with her. Phillip is married to Vicky Fry (Margarita Levieva - The Invisible (2007), The Lincoln Lawyer (2011), Spread (2009), Adventureland (2009)) whose father is a property developer and Phillip’s boss.
- Marty Landry (Eric Stonestreet - Modern Family (2009), Almost Famous (2000), Identity Thief (2013), Bad Teacher (2011)) loves his liquor and abuses it very well. He is married to Mimi (Kali Rocha - Meet the Parents (2000), Buried (2010), Meet the Fockers (2004), The Object of My Affection (1998)) who left him after one of his mistresses showed up at their home.
- The Loft Rating Scores
- Our Score: 7
- Overall Score: 4.66
- IMDB: 6.3
- MetaCritic: 2.4
- Rotten Tomatoes: 1.5
About The Loft 2014
Total Avg. Votes: 45,088 MPAA Rating: R
The Loft Writers: Bart De Pauw, Wesley Strick
The Loft Director: Erik Van Looy
Box Office: $4,409,157
Production: Open Road Films
Country: Belgium, USA