Pride and Prejudice and Zombies (2016)
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies Plot Synopsis:The five highly trained Bennett sisters in Georgian England must try to protect themselves from the growing zombie threat, find suitable husbands for themselves, battle marriage proposals and unlikely suitors, and save the country before it's too late.
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies (2016) Review
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies (2016) is an American romance action horror film that I was looking forward to seeing and was disappointed upon seeing it. Screenwriter and director Burr Steers (17 Again (2009), Pulp Fiction (1994), Igby Goes Down (2002), Charlie St. Cloud (2010)) did a spectacular job keeping the gore strictly PG-13. One of the scenes I enjoyed was watching Elizabeth and her sisters slicing through zombies with their swords at a high-society although it reminds me of Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies follows almost all of the same plot structure of Pride and Prejudice. The zombie plague overtook London resulting in many members of the British aristocracy fleeing to their country estates to protect their families. They started to train their children how to fight by sending their wealthy daughters to train in Japan under their masters while some parents send their children to China. The Bennet sisters (listed below) did not differ much from their roles in Pride and Prejudice as they are still concerned and worried about who they will marry although they are now well-trained assassins because of zombies everywhere. The girls are more capable of defending themselves against zombies hordes then most men and Lizzy still wonders if she should marry for money instead of love. Jane and Elizabeth seek wealthy husbands who will give them the means to protect themselves when their father passes away.
The humor, action, and scatter jump scares throughout the movie made the film somewhat watchable and helped refrain me from falling asleep. The entire cast did a wonderful convincing job with their roles which helped the film to become an average watch which was not good or bad. This movie is different from other zombie movies because people cannot become a full-fledged zombie until they eat human brains. Those who are infected and have not consumed human brains are still a shell of their former human selves. Will the brain-craving zombies take over the world or will the surviving humans win? I did not like that the zombies did not give the creep factors and were not scary. The editing department and screenplay writer did not put their best foot forward when working on this film. I admired that there was an effort to add Darcy’s backstory with Mr. Wickham and disliked that the conflicts between upper and the lower classes were not explored.
- Elizabeth (Lily James - Cinderella (2015), Wrath of the Titans (2012), Broken (2012), Burnt (2015))
- Jane (Bella Heathcote - Dark Shadows (2012), In Time (2011), Not Fade Away (2012), Beneath Hill 60 (2010))
- Kitty (Suki Waterhouse - Love, Rosie (2014), Insurgent (2015), Pusher (2012))
- Lydia (Ellie Bamber - The Falling (2014), Nocturnal Animals (2016), The Musketeers (2014))
- Mary (Millie Brady - Legend (2015), Knights of the Roundtable: King Arthur (2017), Mr. Selfridge (2013))
A few locations the movie was filmed in are:
- Basingstoke, Hampshire, England, UK
- Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire, England, UK
- West Wycombe House, West Wycombe Park, West Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, England, UK
- Basildon Park, Lower Basildon, Berkshire, England, UK
- Syon House, Syon Park, Brentford, Middlesex, England, UK
- Pride and Prejudice and Zombies Rating Scores
- Our Score: 5
- Overall Score: 4.91
- IMDB: 5.8
- MetaCritic: 4.5
- Rotten Tomatoes: 4.3
Runtime: 108 minutes
Genre: Horror, Thriller, Action, Comedy, Romance
Total Avg. Votes: 44,337
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies Writers: Burr Steers, Jane Austen, Seth Grahame-Smith
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies Director: Burr Steers
Box Office: $8,639,097
Production: Sony Pictures
Language: English, Japanese, Chinese
Country: USA, UK