Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows (2016)
[ Movie Page: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows (2016) ]
[ Trailer ][ Full Poster ]
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows Plot Synopsis:The Turtles continue to live in the shadows and no one knows they were the ones who took down Shredder. Vernon is the one everyone thinks is the one who took Shredder down. April O'Neill does some snooping and learns a scientist named Baxter Stockman is working for Shredder. He plans to break him out while he's bringing transported. April tells the turtles, who try to stop it but can't. Stockman tries to teleport Shredder but he some how ends up in another dimension and meets a warlord named Krang who instructs Shredder to assemble a teleportation device he sent to Earth a long time ago. He gives Shredder some mutagen which he uses to transform two criminals who were also in the transport with him, Rock Steady and Bebop, into mutants. They then set out to find the device. April saw the transformation while investigating Stockman. She takes the mutagen and is chased by Shredder's minions, the Foot Clan. She is saved by a man named Casey Jones who was the one transporting Shredder. The Turtles show up and they try to work together. In the melee, the mutagen ends up with the police. Knowing Shredder will try and get it back, April tries to get it first and she asks Vern to help. Eventually she and Casey are arrested. The Turtles get the mutagen and Donatello analyzes it, learns it could make them human, which he tells Leonardo who tells him to forget it and not to tell the others. But Michelangelo tells Raphael who feels that Leonardo doesn't respect them.
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows (2016) Review
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows (2016) is a PG-13 1h 52 min American science-fiction action adventure comedy film that was based on Mirage Studios characters of the same name. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows is the sixth film in the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles franchise and is a sequel to Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2014). The grossed over $245 million from a $135 million budget. Director Dave Green (Earth to Echo (2014), Meltdown (2009), New Romance (2011)) gave fans what they have been waiting for, and that is an adventurous movie.
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows revolves around the turtles trying to stop Shredder (Brian Tee - Jurassic World (2015), The Wolverine (2013), The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift (2006)) from destroying the world after his Foot Clan helped him escape. April O’Neil and Casey Jones helps the turtles in any way they can, especially after the Turtles discover that there is a serum that can turn humans into monsters and turn huge turtles into humans. Bebop and Rocksteady are two people that were transformed into gigantic monsters.
A few main characters are:
- Leonardo (Pete Ploszek - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2014), Teen Wolf (2016-2017), Outage: WME (2012)) is the leader of his brothers and carries a pair of Katanas in battle.
- Raphael (Alan Ritchson - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2014), The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (2013), Blue Mountain State (2010-2011)) The hot-headed brother who wields a pair of Sais in battle.
- Michelangelo (Noel Fisher - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2014), Battle Los Angeles (2011), Shameless (2011-2016)) is the light-hearted one that loves to do pranks on others and carries a pair of nunchucks.
- Donatello (Jeremy Howard - Mighty Med (2014-2015), How the Grinch Stole Christmas (2000), Accepted (2006)) is the intelligent brother that builds machinery things/equipment and carries a bo-staff.
- April O’Neil (Megan Fox - Transformers (2007), Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (2009), Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2014), Jennifer’s Body (2009)) works for Channel 6 as a reporter and helps the turtles fight Shredder and his gang.
- Rocksteady (Stephen Farrelly - WWE Raw (1995-2017), WWE Smackdown! (2010-2016), The Escapist (2008)) was genetically mutated into an anthropomorphic rhinoceros and is Bebop’s criminal partner.
- Bebop (Gary Anthony Williams - The Boondocks (2005-2014), The Internship (2013), Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle (2004)) was genetically mutated into an anthropomorphic warthog and is Rocksteady’s criminal partner.
- Casey Jones (Stephen Amell - Arrow (2012-2018)) was a corrections officer who became a vigilante that wears a hockey mask and has a lead pipe as his weapon. Casey becomes friends with the turtles.
- Splinter (Peter Donald Badalamenti II - The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (2008), Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End (2007), Bad Boys II (2003)) is the turtle’s father, master, and mentor but he did not have a significant role in this film.
I love how the turtles/brothers were energetic, adventurous, enjoyable to watch, fun, caring, easy on the eyes unlike the last movie and was incredibly well executed. The special effects were extremely impressive, and Casey Jones (The Green Arrow) was the added touch that made the movie all the better as he adds charisma and energy to the role. I was thrilled watching all of the action scenes as the special effects and CGI was solid.
I dislike the script which was a bit goofy although there was some logic to the screenplay, some turtle fans may want to see the four turtles they grew up with who loves pizza. The final act was not well thought out as it was all over the place and was a cliche to other superhero films. It would have been nice to see Splinter having a bit more to his role and also it would have been nice if Shredder’s role was not so bland.
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows Rating Scores
- Our Score: 8
- Overall Score: 5.75
- IMDB: 6.0
- MetaCritic: 4.0
- Rotten Tomatoes: 3.6
Runtime: 112 minutes
Genre: Sci-Fi, Action, Fantasy, Comedy, Adventure
Total Avg. Votes: 74,011 MPAA Rating: PG-13
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows Writers: Josh Appelbaum, André Nemec, Peter Laird
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows Director: Dave Green
Box Office: $82,035,527
Production: Paramount Pictures
Country: USA, Hong Kong, China, Canada